Wednesday, 19 September 2012

The Photo Gallery: Breakfast



I am not a morning person. I think this is reflected in our rather chaotic weekday breakfasts. For a start my two early birds are usually down before me, so I feel I'm playing catch up from the minute I walk through the kitchen door.

The kettle goes on first, while I tackle the dreaded packed lunches. And yes, it would be more sensible to do them the night before, but somehow I always manage to talk myself out of it.

My night owl slinks in about now; grumpy, dressed for school but no socks on. Never any socks.

Then the clamour for food begins: the grumpy one likes a straightforward cereal and toast breakfast, the youngest is keen on fruit and yogurt, and the eldest is eating houmous on pittas at the moment. Last week it was mackeral pate... Then again I usually have a dollop of cottage cheese and chilli sauce on my toast, so it feels plain wrong to make a fuss.

The rush to get ready really kicks in, and it's a mad noisy whirlwind until they're on the school bus.

Now I get to eat my bendy, cold toast, washed down with half a cup of tepid coffee.

But honestly, none of this puts me off. I know I'm not a heap of fun first thing, but I do love a good breakfast - especially when it's leisurely, fried, and someone else makes it.


The gallery theme this week is Breakfast.

14 comments:

  1. The love heart egg is lovely! I'm far from a morning person too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) There seem to be a lot of early grumps about, but like to think we hide it well?? x

      Delete
  2. LOVE that egg! Blue is eating appelstroop (we still have it from our trip to Holland last year) & marmite together on toast...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your appelstroop post! It does look quite like tar, but I like it! Can't imagine putting it with marmite though (and I'm open to odd combinations) Must be a very black bit of toast. Bet no one tries to pinch a piece!

      Delete
  3. Great post. I love the heart shaped egg.

    Herding Cats

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have two little grumpy monsters in the morning as well. It takes around half an hour for them to actually tell me what they fancy to eat! Great photos, but that last one did make me hungry! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to beat a cooked breakfast at any time of the day! :)

      Delete
  5. I am not a morning person AT ALL... I hate getting out of bed and there is no way I can manage a cooked breakfast, either making or eating it first thing. Luckily my kids are very good at getting their own breakfast.

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to work an early shift. People kept telling me I'd get used to it - I never did!
      But sadly my morning aversion doesn't curb my appetite. I'm always hungry! x

      Delete
  6. Wow some seriously unusual breakfast combinations going on there! I love that photo, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete