Wednesday, 26 September 2012

The Gallery - 8pm



My 7 year old at eight o'clock last night. He's meant to be in bed with his book; but is usually very busy, making ramps, obstacle courses or rearranging his room. All things I'd much rather he did during the day. And do you see how all the books are propped up? He's always doing this, everything out, on display. It's become our tidy-up tug-of-war.

This one never wants to go to sleep, and never wants to get up.

I'd love it to be an oasis of calm by 8pm, but no matter when I start the bath/bed/book routine, there's usually a touch of desperation creeping in around that time. If they're all in their own beds, I've a chance; but spending a while reading with one, leaves the other two free to make mischief. 

And I have to face facts: my eldest is ten now - they are staying up longer and my child-free, evening 'me time' is getting shorter. 
I know I'm not handling this well; hence the desperation, and the switch at about 8 from shouty but fair mum to plain old shouty mum. The thing is I still want to clock off at eight, but really need to accept those days are gone.  


The Gallery theme is 8pm

16 comments:

  1. Tell me about it. My almost-13 yr old now wants to be up after I've gone to bed. Dinner gets later and later. I'm thinking of combining it with breakfast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh heavens! ! I know it's going to happen, and in the not too distant future a child-free evening will be a thing of the past.

      Delete
  2. Oh well, single married mum, I hadn't though about when my smalls get older they will be staying up late and I'll have less time to myself in the evening.

    My hubby works away during the week, so n the week I'm also a single (but married) mum and have to turn the married on bit when he gets home at the weekend.

    Hope hubby stays safe while away serving. And you are managing well while he is away.

    Great photo of 8pm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina :) I do think weekly commuting can be so hard, because you've just got used to them being around at the weekend, and then they're off again! x

      Delete
  3. Oh I so know this feeling. I have strict rules about this time now otherwise I was going to go insane. He can stay up but he stays in his room with the door shut. He can read, play, and sometimes watch TV. So far it seems to work out OK.

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very good idea. I do have rules, but also have a sliding timetable... I need to tie this down. The problem is the oldest understandably wants to stay up later than the younger two, but the younger two are having none of it! They aren't brilliant at staying in their rooms, especially if I'm distracted. Some evenings I do feel like I'm going insane..!

      Delete
  4. Pickle is like that she has been know to tell me off in the morning as I hurry her along to get to school "don't you know I am a hedgehog and hedgehogs are nocturnal?" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least it looks like he is happy to build by himself! I guess as they get older the calmer, quiet evenings change again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it's always changing really - sometimes so gradually you don't notice for a while, but I'm definitely noticing my disappearing evenings!

      Delete
  6. I have one of those. A night owl that could quite happily stay up and sleep in until noon. Luckily for me, she just reads, but I do have to threaten her with taking the lightbulb out of her lamp if she doesn't go to sleep on time! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I wish my night owl would read! Sadly no interest, and would much rather rearrange the furniture! x

      Delete
  7. I feel for you. I treasure my evenings and would do even more if my OH was working away. But you will get used to it. Thankyou for your message. OMG I would surely give him a good home somewhere in my new extension. I have changed my profile to show my email. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have all this to come. oh joy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah I so know this feeling. I am often still having to hoist my daughter in to bed at 9pm, where as it used to be 7pm. My other teen is up til 9pm too, the boys go at 8pm and the littlest 2 at 7pm. My long peaceful evenings seem to be getting shorter and shorter !xxx

    ReplyDelete