Monday, 10 September 2012

Magpie Monday - Too many boots


We had a car boot clear out on sunday. It doesn't seem all that long since the last one, but stuff just keeps on coming - multiplying faster as the kids get older, and I've been piling it up in the spare room.  My sister's staying next week and I didn't want her to have to literally climb into bed; so it was either the car boot, or shoving it all back into a cupboard. I was tempted with the cupboard option, but the weather was perfect for a bit of selling, and we're probably running out of decent days.

Half of Hereford had the same idea. The local car boot sale was heaving with buyers and sellers. This might sound great, but it's not always a good thing when you're trying to sell. Too many boots can spoil the cash flow, and there were hundreds. We were stuck in a second field at the back, and people were rushing past us because there was so much to look at. Or maybe it was our stuff. Anyway there was a lot more interest in Betty the camper than anything we were selling. I had plenty of chats about Betty.

Betty at the car boot

So not the best selling day, but getting there early gave me a chance to have a quick look at the tables near us, and I pounced on this when I saw it. A lovely old musical ferris wheel, worn but still working. A bargain for 50p. Vintage fisher price toys are hard to find now and I love them. I'm not even going to pretend it's for the kids.

vintage fisher price ferris wheel 1966

That was it. Frustratingly no time for any more looking. Not the most relaxing car boot either - my three small sales assistants lost interest after about half an hour, and then plagued me for ice-creams and money for the bouncy castle. Still I made a little, and cleared some space.

With the kids back at school, I did manage a quick whizz round my favourite charity shop last week and found some interesting craft books.


I've always enjoyed making things out of shells and recently posted about it here, but have never tried anything quite like this.


And I'm completely over excited about my other find - definitely 50p well spent.


It was the rainbow jumper that reeled me in, and this late 70's craft book is packed with simple, clever ideas. Very appropriately it turns out Susan Stranks was one of the original presenters of the children's programme, Magpie. I'd like to say this was before my time, but it wasn't. I don't really remember her though, still I'm glad she liked bright jumpers and that I found her book.
There are so many great ideas in it, I think I'm going to try to do a regular Susan Stranks slot.

But I won't be making this one.



I'm linking up with Liz's fabulous Magpie Monday

Me and My Shadow

10 comments:

  1. I love having a rummage at car boot sales! I only ever did one.. about 4 years ago, NEVER.AGAIN. I just don't have patience lol. I'm more of a buyer than a seller lol... and I LOVE Better :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is much better at selling at car boots than me. Also when he's there I can go off for a wander. MUCH more fun!

      Delete
  2. I'm not surprised you got lots of interest in Betty - she's gorgeous!

    Am coveting your 50p Fisher Price and your Big Ideas Book too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so pleased with the book - paper houses, razzle dazzle trees, whirling whizzers, LOTS of things I want to try :)

      Delete
  3. Betty is fab! I'd love to have a camper van. Your fisher price find is great, I used to love playing those, we had the town, hospital and cottage as kids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've quite a good vintage fisher price collection now, including the camper with the boat on top. Not quite sure what I think I'm going to do with it all (youngest is losing interest) - but know I couldn't part with any of it !

      Delete
  4. I love how you went to a car boot sale, but ended up buying lots of things! Totally what I would do! I was talking to a friend the other day who boxed up all her stuff for a car boot sale, and put an ad in the paper, calling it "car boot stock". She sold it for £5 pound a box! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clever! I've got a fair bit left and it's going to the charity shop today...my perfect excuse for a rummage :)

      Delete
    2. That is a GREAT idea your friend had - I might do that myself - trying to get rid of loads of the kids old stuff - might be a good way to persuade them too without the need to actually go to a car boot - where they would inevitably spend all their pocket money on the kind of stuff I am trying to get rid of!

      Delete
  5. We did a car boot once at Salisbury Race Track when we moved out of a massive captains quarter into our own tiny terrace house... we were totally unprepared for the onslaught as we tried to unpack. Didn't buy anything though and what we didn't sell we took to the charity shop - so it was quite succesful. Made enough money to buy snorkels and flippers fo diving so that was good. I swore I'd never do another one, buit the idea of doing it with Daisy is quite appealing - you could retreat inside and make a cuppa when it all got too much!!

    ReplyDelete