Friday, 28 September 2012

Day 321 - Stuffed Tomatoes

It's a goodie this one. Thumbs up from almost everyone (needs to be pudding or cake for a clean sweep), but it had slipped my mind until I was scrolling through some holiday photos and found these beauties.
Marmande tomatoes


Goose Fat and Garlic
During the summer, I saw vines in carefully tended french gardens, straining under the weight of these big, beefy Marmande tomatoes. Delicious just sliced, with a sprinkle of salt and pepper; and this local variety pops up a fair bit in Goose Fat and Garlic (remember that?)... in among all the game and offal recipes...

Now I love tomatoes, a plain old tomato sandwich does it for me, but I find they're a bit hit and miss with kids. My fussy one thinks they're vile beyond belief raw - yet he'll happily suck tomato pasta sauce off a piece of penne.
So I thought I'd try a cooked tomato/sausage combo from the book, seeing as the main ingredients were in such plentiful supply, and sausage things usually work.
Les Tomates Farcies a L'albigeoise (stuffed tomatoes) is obviously a popular regional dish, because I spotted it cooking away on stalls in all the markets near where we were staying.

And you don't need gigantic, mutant tomatoes - I made it a few time with bog standard sized ones, and think on balance smaller was better. Less overwhelming!

So either 4 extra large tomatoes or 10 to 12 normal sized ones
350g of sausage meat (or skins off a packet of good sausages)
Two slices of crustless bread
1 small onion chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped
2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
2 bacon rashers cooked and chopped
1 egg yolk
Plenty of seasoning

Cut the tomatoes in half, score them with a sharp knife and sprinkle with salt. Let the salt dissolve slightly, then turn them upside down and leave to drain for a minute or two while you make the stuffing. Soak the bread in water and squeeze out, then mix all the ingredients together (I'm not a fan of crunchy onion, so cooked it with the garlic and bacon first)

Scoop out the tomato seeds and juice, fill with the stuffing, dot with butter and place on an oiled baking tray. Cook in a preheated oven at 180 degrees (gas mark 5) for 40 minutes.

Of course they looked far too much like tomatoes for the fussy one, so I took his away, chopped and mixed it up, and he cleaned his plate.

Les tomates farcies a l'albigeoise

Another favourite with everyone else was tomato tarte tatin, which he was prepared to try because it looked like pizza. A lovely, easy recipe, but I'm going to keep it for now - I have this notion it might work with beetroot...
So hopefully posting that one soon...if it works...
Is pinky purple pastry ever a good thing?

And, as a footnote - Goose Fat and Garlic stayed in France. I gave the book to someone we met who loved it. Just felt right really.
Gone but not forgotten.

2 comments:

  1. We had purple bread rolls recently if that helps? Those tomatoes look delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...have a feeling I'll be the only one eating the purple pastry :)

      Delete