Wednesday, 8 August 2012

The Photo Gallery: Sport

My 10 year old is never going to let me forget we were away for the Olympics. He is mad about sport, ANY sport - and I know he'd have been glued to the wall-to-wall coverage at home. Instead he's had to make do with a few snatched highlights on iPlayer. I do have occasional pangs of guilt; and then remind myself it wouldn't have been TV heaven for the other two.

Football is his first love. And from what I can gather, the more time spent diving, sliding or basically throwing yourself to the ground during a game, the better.
This is apparently called an overhead bicycle kick.


It just looks painful to me, but I'm reliably informed it's how Wayne Rooney scored the winning goal in the 2011 Manchester derby. 
This is the other thing: my eldest has an encyclopedic knowledge of football and soaks up any sports facts or news like a sponge. It's given me a glimpse of what he's capable of learning...when he puts his mind to it.


The Gallery theme this week is Sport.

10 comments:

  1. wonderful action photo.
    isn't it funny how some kids get obsessed with something and then learn so much about it and commit it to memory! a great skill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing. I remember a neighbour's five year old being able to recognise flags from anywhere in the world. He also knew a scary amount about classic cars.

      Delete
  2. Love the action shot, so good to see kids playing sports outside

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is - sometimes wish they'd stay out a little longer than they do!

      Delete
  3. That's a cool photo. I can't get at all excited about football. Luckily (for me) my children don't seem at all bothered either. We do like the athletics and swimming though. - I get the concept of 'winning a race'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get excited about football either. I try to show some interest because he's so passionate about it, but I usually get caught out, seeing as I don't really know the rules, or the players he's talking about!

      Delete
  4. Fantastic action shot. Amazing what kids can learn when the subject really interests them.

    Herding Cats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true - mine can remember such a lot about stuff like football, yet instantly forgets most things I tell him...funny that..

      Delete
  5. Great photo... (it says future broken wrist to me though, not that my husband gained the same injury by doing exactly this or anything...!!) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make me nervous! He's at that age when he thinks he can bounce...

      Delete