Monday, 13 August 2012

Magpie Monday - French Booty 2

Everywhere you looked there were tempting tables piled high with secondhand stuff, winding through the pretty streets of Lauzun. It was like a car boot invasion - everything else had ground to a halt: the Vide Grenier was definitely the only show in town.
We'd got there early - it was warm and sunny, and possibly the only thing that would have improved the moment was if someone had offered to take the kids off my hands for a few hours. But they had money to spend and enough enthusiasm to get us round. Just.



It all started well. I got this new tin (tin) for a euro...


..and this old one for two.


It would appear anything goes when it comes to selling at vide greniers - it all comes out of the attic - the good the bad and the completely and utterly broken. Toy cars with no wheels, limbless teddies, things with leaky old batteries stuck in the back, cups and teapots with no handles...or spouts. And we're not talking vintage. Now I know 'one man's junk..' and all that, but there was stuff on sale I'm quite sure even the most ardent upcycler wouldn't fish out of a skip. There's usually much sifting to be done.
Probably easier to sift when you're allowed to stop occasionally. Though I did somehow manage to spot this on a walk-by. A tiny enamel coffee set for 50c.


I bought more dominos - thanks to Minibreak Mummy we now know how to play! One euro for the two vintage games; and strangely enough, both seem to have a road safety theme. But it was the style of the old pictures that appealed to me - if we don't play with them (bound to be some bits missing) I'll find another use for the cards.


And I'm not exactly sure what to do with these either, but love the appliquéd rabbits. Only a euro. One piece is napkin shape, the other is long and thin. They're old, linen and a little tatty. Someone suggested they might have been used to decorate a nursery.


One thought was lavender bags: I've been given a big bundle of dried lavender - but have a knitty plan for it. More about that very soon...
So I'd love to hear any ideas for the bunnies!

I'm linking up with Liz's magic Magpie Monday.  

11 comments:

  1. I love those retro games... coincidentally I picked up a game by the same illustrator at a car boot sale a while back (it's here if you fancy a look... http://makedomum1.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/magpie-monday-retro-dolls.html) Great bunny fabric too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'll pop over and have a look :)

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous post!

    Somehow second-hand treasure seems all the more glamorous outside of the UK!

    I LOVE the miniture coffee set, I'm a sucker for tins, the games have great crafting potential and the bunnies are adorable. Not sure what they were for - maybe you could frame them?

    I think if I'd been at that sale I'd have picked the exact same items as you.

    Thanks so much for linking up x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Liz - I do love the sales here, they're fascinating. Still can't get over some of the stuff, but there are plenty of gorgeous things too. Already planning our trip to the next one! x

      Delete
  3. That little enamel coffee set is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kicking myself because there was a little china one there too, and I should have bought it...but it was getting hot and the kids were getting bored...

      Delete
  4. More great finds! Love the bunnies? I don't know, applique a towel or blanket with them or something? They are too sweet not to do anything with :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! - like the idea of adding them to a blanket. I have a sweet little dolls cot (well my daughter does..) I could maybe make a small bunny-covered quilt? x

      Delete
  5. Great tins. You need some good cakes to go in those :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...funny enough I've just made a banana cake, though v flat and looks more like a pancake!

      Delete
  6. Oh I adore the dominoes v retro!!

    ReplyDelete