Sunday, 19 August 2012

Magpie Monday - The end game


Another sunday, another pretty french town jam-packed with the promise of a secondhand treasure or two. Perfect. 
But this trip wasn't just about treasure hunting, it was about killing time. Hours of it. 
You see I'm picking my husband up from the airport this evening, and I swear the past few days have  c r a w l e d  by. The build up to his Leave seems to have gone on for AGES, and the last bit is always hard. Like treading water when you're tired and excited. And the kids are just very, very excited. 

We needed to get out of the house.  I didn't want to spend the whole day clock-watching or being asked, 'how long is it now mummy?' every five minutes. So I was hoping our trip to the sale at Villereal would distract all of us. My plan was to make it a bit of a challenge, and get them to look for things they could do with their dad. 
It didn't go quite as I'd hoped. For a start I was so sure we'd find a set balls to play boules; but there weren't any to be seen. Always the way when you're looking out for something. Still I did find some lovely old games, like this vintage double-sided board for 50c.



And I seem to be drawn to dominos...my third set. Just 50c and again it was the gorgeous retro pictures  that caught my eye. Definitely my favourites so far.


My eldest spotted this oldish lotto/bingo game for 2 euros. There are loads of cards in the box and plenty of little round wooden numbers. If there are any missing, I was thinking I could find another use for them?

The seven year old had his heart set on an archery set and some handcuffs... Thankfully we didn't find any, and he bought these ink stamps instead for a euro.


The youngest found a small Sylvanian bunny. She's sure her dad will love it, but just in case, I helped her choose this book for 20c. The illustrations are wonderful and his french is a lot better than mine.

This one's for me!


    I'm linking up with Liz's Magpie Monday. 

Me and My Shadow

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a haul of beautiful treasures.

    Herding Cats

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great haul! Love that coffee pot!

    PS. Have a wonderful time together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I love French bargains!! They just seem so much more stylish somehow! You should contact @Mrs_Karen_Jones from The White Approach and strike a deal - I hear she's looking for French Linen...

    Hope Daddy's home now and you're all enjoying your time together xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want all of your finds!! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete