18.7.12

The Gallery - Planes, Trains and Automobiles


I got my love of old cars from my dad. He bought this 1936 Lagonda in a poor state, back in the 60's, and would be the first to admit he's been working on her ever since. His never ending project. She's unreliable, temperamental and high maintenance; but when the Lagonda's running smoothly and polished up, she really is something else. A true beauty. 

I remember going to vintage car rallies with dad years ago. It took us ages to get there, and by the time we did I'd look like a scarecrow - hair everywhere, with the engine noise and the wind still singing in my ears. Even parked up beside the other gorgeous vintage cars the Lagonda shone, and it was fun basking in all the admiration. That said we regularly broke down on the way home. My dad kept some old nylon tights in the glove compartment so he could fix the fan belt if he needed to. And he often did. A trip in the Lagonda was always eventful.

But my happiest memory of her is the journey from the church on our wedding day. I looked like I'd backcombed my hair by the time we got to the reception, and remember that familiar hum in my ears.
I wouldn't have had it any other way.


This week's Gallery theme is Planes, Trains and Automobiles