Tuesday, 3 July 2012

Cider Bread rules

There are some recipes you just want to shout from the rooftops; ones that seem too good to be true, that require next to no effort and yet never fail to impress. I know that's quite a build up, but I can't quite get over cider bread - it's one of the simplest most satisfying things I've ever baked.
Now have to admit I did write about it in a previous post when I was doing my £12 Charity Challenge, but it was tucked away in a corner, and no one should put cider bread in the corner.

So all you need is 250ml of cider, 350g of self-raising flour, 50g of sugar, a small handful of pumpkin seeds if you like them, and 100g of grated mature cheddar. With the cheese, I've used whatever happened to be in the fridge. I've tried some stilton/parmesan/cashel blue and think they all worked pretty well.
Then you just mix all the ingredients in a bowl with a wooden spoon. No need to get stuck in with your hands.
Once it's all come together, scrape it into a greased loaf tin and leave somewhere warm for half an hour to rise a bit.
Into the oven at 180 degrees C (gas mark 4) for 35 minutes, and while the timer's ticking away melt two tablespoons of butter. 
When the time's up, drizzle the butter over the top and put the loaf back in to bake for another 5-10 minutes, until it's golden brown and sounds hollow when you tap it. 


So having hyped it to the heavens I hope to goodness it delivers ! 
Lovely hot or cold, smothered in butter with a comforting bowl of soup.

I'm linking up with Lakota's Ta-dah! Tuesday

7 comments:

  1. Cider bread where have you been all my life?? That sounds amazing! Pinning to my baking pinterest board so I don't lose it.

    Thanks for linking up x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lakota, really hope you like it ! x

      Delete
  2. Wow, that sounds great. Will definitely try that some time, and also stealing Lakota's pinning idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :) Sometime soon I'm going to have to get my head round Pinterest - like the sound of pinning!

      Delete
  3. I have never heard of it, but I most definitely will be trying it! :) It looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS. Yes, I do think you should have a go at Pinterest... It's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete