Monday, 2 July 2012

Reader Appreciation Award


SUCH a lovely surprise and a perfect pick-me-up - so thank you Jo for the award, I'm really touched you thought of me.
If you haven't already, do take a look at her fab blog,
From the Kitchen Sink, and read her warm, honest account of bringing up 6 kids, two with disabilities. Jo writes beautifully, from the heart - her words flow so naturally and she always looks on the bright side of life. I am truly glad our paths have crossed.

The rules of this award are as follows
1. Include the award logo somewhere in your blog.
2. Answer the 10 questions below for fun, if you want to.
3. Nominate 10 to 12 blogs that you enjoy, or you pick the number.
4. Pay the love forward: Provide your nominees with a link to your post and comment on their blog to let them know they've been included and invited to participate.
5. Pay the love back with gratitude and a link to the blogger(s) who nominated you.

That's it, so here goes......

What is your favourite colour?
This is a good time of year for green - every shade you can imagine and all so lucious and vibrant at the moment, thanks to all the blinking rain...
Growth and fresh hope, that's what I think of. Such a positive colour.
I find it comforting and soothing too. I wear a lot of green: one of my favourites is a soft, baggy jumper my husband gave me before he went away the last time. I put it on most nights.

What is your favourite animal?
Probably a cat, quite hard to choose really, but as we have one.... I'm a fan because they're so independent and do their own thing. Cats don't need loads of attention, but when they want some love, they will find you. I like the way our cat Humbug is playful and a bit mad, but I'm not so keen on the trail of gruesome offerings outside the backdoor in the morning (very glad we don't have a cat flap...)


What is your favourite non-alcoholic drink?
Coffee first thing, then later on a lime soda or elderflower....or maybe ginger beer?...

Facebook or Twitter?
Don't do either I'm afraid. Feel like such a dinosaur.

Favourite pattern?
This is one of my sister's gorgeous knitted cushions. She designs her own patterns and makes the most gloriously divine things. I am incredibly proud of her. If you'd like to have a look, her website is here.
I'm also partial to a bit of Orla Keily, and my lovely, generous friends bought me a beautiful OK bag for my birthday (hoping also I think to stop me using my shiny, shocking pink plastic one covered in cats. I had so many comments about that bag, though most people thought it was my daughter's)

Do you prefer giving or getting presents?
Well I really loved getting that OK bag....but it's got to be giving. Nothing better than watching the kids almost explode with excitement when you give them something they want so desperately. Or with friends and family when you spot something you just know is right. Putting a bit of time and thought into present giving always pays off.

Favourite number?
It's got to be 3, we were married on the 3rd of the 3rd and have three kids - but it's always been three.

Favourite day of the week?
I'd like to say friday, but at the moment I don't have that joyous end-of-week-feeling. Weekends are full on with the kids, and as fun as that can be, there's no let up. It's when I miss my husband the most. So for this year only I'm going to say monday. I like that time just after they've gone to school when the house is quiet and I'm still hopeful about what I'm going to get done during the week. Never quite pull it off though.


Favourite flower?
Sweet peas. My dad used to grow rows and rows of them every year. I remember their sweet scent and picking bunches of bright, delicate flowers. We had sweet peas on our wedding cake and this is one of the first pictures we bought together.


What is your passion?
Oh I'm passionate about lots of things; many come and go but the unwavering ones, the ones that thread my life together are my family, food and wool.
I've always spent a ridiculous amount of time thinking about what I'm going to cook and eat. I love planning meals in my head and get excited like a small child in a restaurant or a good Deli.
With wool, it's mainly knitting. I've been a knitter for decades and when I look at some of my creations it takes me right back to when I made them. I like that. I used to knit big jumpers: my favourite was one I made at university with Tintin on the front (someone stole it so it must have been ok)
Now most of the things I knit are small; toys and tops for the kids - apart from my granny square crochet project which is huge! I'm determined to finish it, so I'll always have something to show for this year.
I've got a few more recent passions too, like photography - it's good to have some new ones on the go, don't you think?



So nomination time, and just to make it clear, there's NO PRESSURE to join in. I know these things aren't everyone's cup of tea so if you don't have the time/inclination then no worries! Please feel free to accept the award and leave it at that.

I think these bloggers are all talented and fabulous. I love they way they write and I love how passionate they are about different things, like cooking, craft, photography, family or thrifting. They are warm, wise and funny, and as cheesy as it sounds, some have become friends I've never met (though this might be news to them...)


12 comments:

  1. Loved your answer's.
    I love Sweet peas too, we've got a patch of them at the allotment :-) I love them because my Dad has always grown rows of them each year too :-)
    Thank you for taking part xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for thinking of me Jo ! xxx

      Delete
  2. I love Jo's blog too - thanks for the nomination - I'm about to send a versatile blogger award your way (when i get round to writing the post) if you don't mind... I will do this although it may take me a few days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....Thanks in advance..bring it on I say! And don't worry about how long it takes - took me ages.

      Delete
  3. Wow SMM, Thanks for the nomination. I've just read your answers to the questions and i could practically copy yours word for word. green, sweet pea, Orla Keily, Twitter and FB virgin. I'm amazed at how similar my answers are. So, with that in mind I'm off to the other nominations to find me some nice new material to read. If you reckon they are good blogs I'm pretty sure i will too.

    p.s. how many little paintings have you done.

    I'll get my homework done this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome Bee - look forward to your answers.

      I've got a pheasant and some fruit (not so sure about the fruit!) Don't think I'm really going to get a proper chance to paint until my OH is on leave in August. Hope that will give me enough time !

      Delete
  4. Thank you for my first blog award :) I'm very much looking forward to reading the others you have listed and I love ur blog 2 xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MG and you're very welcome! xxx

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for including me! I feel very honoured to have a mention! Emma :)

    PS. How talented is your sister? That is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she?? Things are going really well for her at the moment, and it's been wonderful watching her business grow.

      Always enjoy visiting your blog :)

      Delete
  6. Thank you soo much for nominating me, I also love green and the number three :D x

    ReplyDelete