Wednesday, 4 July 2012

The Photo Gallery - Everyday



I took this during the usual mad morning rush. Catching an everyday moment.  And looking at it now I wonder what the kids will remember about ordinary moments like this.
Funny enough I can't remember school mornings being hectic when I was growing up, and they must have been with four kids to get out the door. When I look back the first thing I think of is colour; the colour of our kitchen: orange, mustard and brown - defining a decade. There was a lot of it about in the 70's...
The round butter dish in the photo is a vintage one from the same set we used everyday all those years ago. I bought it recently in a second hand shop, almost without thinking because it was so familiar.

I'm pretty sure the kids will remember the pale blue aga and maybe the piles of washing that are always drying on the lids. This is the closest any of their clothes get to being 'ironed'. We had one when I was young too; it was a solid fuel stove, and I've a picture in my head of my mum in her nightie and wellies, going out to fetch the coal first thing in the morning.

Makes me smile that the cupboard door is open in the photo. It is ALWAYS open. The kids are forever looking in it hopefully: the magical place were snacks and treats live. Though most of the good stuff is out of reach, on top of the fridge. My husband also suffers from cupboard love when he gets back. But that's ok, because he needs feeding up after months away from home.

It'll be interesting to see if my eldest remembers the ordinary looking blue plastic beaker in front of him. He has point blank refused to drink out of anything else for about 3 years. Slightly bonkers, but there you go...  He can't explain why, and doesn't do it with anything else. Finding the blue beaker has become a morning ritual - it's his security cup. I think it makes him feel that things are as they should be.

Many thoughts wrapped up in an everyday moment.



The Sticky Fingers Gallery theme this week is everyday.

17 comments:

  1. after she'd been weaned, my daughter would only ever drink out of her 'pu-pu' cup, for her 'pu-pu'('u' as in 'cup' rather than 'ewe') which was warm cows milk. It was a beaker with one of those flip up spouts on it. The only reason we can think she called it her pu pu cup is that when she was learning to talk we used to say 'p..p..p' to prompt her to say please. She wanted milk quite a lot so we were always saying 'p p p' to her at the same time.

    She still asked for her pu pu cup long into her first year at school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely! I find it's stories like this, about when they were tiny, that the kids love hearing now x

      Delete
  2. Loved your sharing of your own memories and how they tie into today's theme. Your photo is a picture of normalness♫♪

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely post capturing an every day event.
    Funny you should say about remembering colours, I shall never forget my parents kitchen...ever lol. Mustard units and rows and rows of dark brown Hornsea pottery, and one cupboard just for green and orange tuppaware ! :-)

    Oh I like to have the same cup in the mornings too, I've never really wondered why before now but maybe it is a security thing like you say :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, I've got a favourite cup too, but I'm not quite as obsessed with it as my son is with his. He really won't use anything else!
      Your kitchen description made me smile - love that they had a cupboard just for green and orange tuppaware xxx

      Delete
  4. Hello there! I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award. Hope you don't mind, but I do love your blog. No obligation to pass it on, I don't think, or any time frame to do it in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Recipe! I'm really touched and will pass it on, though might take a few days.

      Delete
  5. Lovely post! And your Aga is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I've fully grasped Aga cooking, but it's great for lots of other things ! Thank you for your comment :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely post and love the Aga! Cupboards are always open here, well the top cupboards anyway. I have the mad rush to come, my daughter is only two and a half. I think I need to be more organised than I am now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly - every monday I tell myself I'm going to be more organised - but no matter when I start the packed lunches, breakfast etc, it always seems to be a rush to get the kids out the door!

      Delete
  7. Cakes, Babies and other ramblings sent me over and I'm glad I did. What a great everyday shot and your memories were so lovely to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Thank you for your lovely comment!

      Delete
  8. A fantastic "everyday" post.... I love that butter dish too, and we had orange dining room curtains! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want an aga to remember too! Love this everyday photo and the normality in it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boy oh boy, that little snippet of your aga in the picture is enough to make me remember it! Such a lovely snapshot of your fam.

    ReplyDelete