Tuesday, 31 July 2012

Magpie Monday - French booty

I'm in the land of Brocantes and Vide Greniers and tis the season for them. I couldn't be happier. The french take secondhand buying and selling pretty seriously - we even picked up a pamphlet from the Tourist office with details of all the locals sales held over the summer.  And there were three near us on sunday; but even with my mum as back-up, one was going to be our limit.  We chose a small vide grenier in the pretty village of Bournel, and bribed the children with pocket money and the promise of a trip to the swimming pool in the afternoon.
Vide greniers are like car boot sales and literally mean 'attic clearance' - just perfect I think. Brocantes seem to be more like antique markets or fairs; wonderful for a wander, but harder to find bargains.
Not an antique dealer in sight at Bournel, and all the sellers had obviously had a right old rummage through their attics.  

There was quite a mixture of interesting stuff and broken old tat. I thought I'd hit the ground running with my first buy - a swatch flip flak watch for 20c. I was so excited I forgot to check if it worked (it didn't) or if there was a catch for the strap (there wasn't)
Thankfully things got better after that - even managed a bit of haggling in my faltering french. I found a lovely rusty old tin for a euro, to add to my rusty old tin collection, and this tureen for three.


I've never really used a tureen and don't think this one could cope with anything piping hot anymore, but love the pattern and feel sure I can find another use for it.
My mum bought these cat dominos for the kids  - quite unusual with fabulous, colourful pictures by Andy Warhol. Dominos is a game you think you should remember, but neither of us could!


The boys ambled about and didn't get much, but the youngest did ok - she got all this with her five euros from granny: a box of Polly Pocket things, toy hairdressing kit and soft leather slippers.


This bright, bold ceramic cheese plate was my top find for two euros. It's not just the way it looks...


...I have a deep love of cheese. So maybe a little al fresco wine and cheese-tasting by candlelight, or small tea-light inferno?
metal bird tea-light holder - 3 euros
   

I'm linking up with Liz's Magpie Monday

Me and My Shadow

12 comments:

  1. My idea of heaven! Some great finds there too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Already looking forward to the next one, though no mum next time!

      Delete
  2. Fabulous finds! Love that tea light holder! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, it certainly brightens things up!

      Delete
  3. Such lovely things! My favourite has to be the dominos, although like you say I'm never quite sure how to play it even though I'm sure it should be easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really frustrating! But the youngest seems quite happy making up her own game with them. Think I'll google it!

      Delete
  4. like the sound of cheese tasting :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! Might need to rein in the cheese eating, or I'll be the size of a house by the time I get back ;)

      Delete
  5. How fab! We are off to France soon on our boat, so will definatly be on the look out - there is no better way to spend a Sunday morning than at a car boot sale!

    Got to remember that phrase - Vide Grenier - I hadn't heard it before, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you find one - I'm sure you will because it seems to be the time for VGs. If you get a chance, pop into a tourist office, as they're bound to have details of places/times x

      Delete
  6. Those dominos are gorgeous. Simple rules - lay them all face down on the table and each player picks 7. Highest value double goes first (so I guess you'd have to rank the cats!). Each player places a domino to match one end of the line of dominos. If a player does not have a matching domino, they 'knock' on the table, miss a turn and select an additional domino from the pool. First player to have no dominos left is the winner! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! Will try it later with the kids :)x

      Delete