Monday, 9 July 2012

Magpie Monday - Candles, Cakes and Colour



Every night, when it's quiet upstairs, the kitchen's clear and I've shoved all the toys back into the playroom, I light a candle. I've always done it; it's become a kind of ritual - marking the end of the day and beginning of a few hours of uninterrupted peace. Well it doesn't always work out that way....but having a candle flickering beside me somehow helps restore a sense of calm, even after a tricky day.
I have a good supply of scented ones in jars or pots, and bought these painted enamel candle holders in a charity shop for £2.50. They're not old, but look pretty good on the kitchen table.


I found another pair of candlesticks in the same charity shop....and a rather lovely looking cake...


Can't resist dolls house bits and pieces, ever since I won this one in a raffle when I was in my early twenties. I remember the lady handing it over saying, 'I'm sure this is going to make some little girl very happy...' - and I was thinking, 'yes, ME!' 
I had no intention of giving it to anyone else; I've always loved mini things, and whiled away plenty of happy hours, flicking through a Dolls House Emporium catalogue. 
Have to say not many of my friends shared my excitement for little painted tea sets, or nut crackers with teeny tiny walnuts.... My daughter has it now and she seems to love it too.


I gave her the candlesticks, and kept the cake in its package for another time (both had been reduced to 50p) - but on closer inspection it would appear she doesn't need another one! There's some serious baking going on in this dolls house....


I also spied a sunny ray of colour peeping out from one of the clothes rails in the Sue Ryder shop. Such a cheery Warehouse top and not too bad at £3.75. I'm so fed up wearing wintery stuff.


Time to brighten things up I think!


I'm linking with Liz's marvellous Magpie Monday.
Me and My Shadow

16 comments:

  1. I LOVE the idea of lighting a candle in the evening. I'm going to start doing that too, bet it's a total stress-buster.

    There's something harmlessly lovely about doll's houses isn't there - creating a perfect little world and interior design you wish you could afford for real!

    Thanks for liking up x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got chatting to this lady on a train once, she was reading a dolls' house magazine and it turned out she had 20 of her own and they were all themed!
      So glad you like the candle idea, it's just a small thing, but does help somehow, especially if the candle's scented x

      Delete
  2. Lighting a candle is a lovely ritual, that i may try too!!Your living room looks like a very nice place to relax in the evening. I always wanted a dolls house when i was little. Your little girl is very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's quite careful with it, considering she's just five - and loves rearranging the furniture (fun to take a peek - her interior design is always interesting!)
      My living room only looks like that when the kids aren't around - one of the first things I do when they're in bed is pick all the cushions off the floor. What is it about kids and cushions?? :)

      Delete
  3. I too love the candle idea! Such a nice way of drawing a line on the hecticness.
    The dolls house is adorable. We found one by a road and love it, but all the bits end up tucked in every nook and cranny around our real house instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you find so much great stuff by the road! Amazingly most of our dolls house bits haven't wandered too far, though I'm pretty sure I've hoovered up some of the cutlery!

      Delete
  4. Love those miniature cakes, brilliant! I am a sucker for anything miniture/dollhousey too. I still have a slight sylvanian family obsession from my childhood! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can completely understand that, they're sweet! My daughter's just started talking about Sylvanians - I'm kind of hoping she'll get some bits from her older cousin who seems to have a Sylvanian village in her bedroom :)

      Delete
  5. What a fab dolls house! I get a similar kick out of our Playmobil motorhome with all its little plates and cups and foodstuffs(though like you I suspect we've hoovered up some of the cutlery)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a playmobil camper! I love the way the plates and things are stored under the beds. It's one of my best car boot buys - only 20p! There was a wheel missing .....but found a spare on ebay :)

      Delete
  6. I'm another one who likes your candle idea :)

    What a gorgeous dolls house you have there. I love the furniture you've got! We found a dolls house in our loft. Don't know who left it there or when it was made. It's not in bad condition either. Ethan plays with it a bit but there's not much room for it in his room so it's in his wardrobe. A shame not to have it out on show, but there's only so much floor space in his room. One day I hope to work on it as a project.

    That's a nice dress you found too - nice and bright! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a perfect project - when you start decorating, it's quite easy to get carried away - well that's what I found! There's no space in my daughter's room either, so I put our dolls house on the landing in a little nook by the stairs. There's room for her to play and I like seeing it x

      Delete
  7. You would fit right in in Scandinavia with your love of candles you know! I became slightly addicted to them living in Denmark! Love your dolls house, how sweet is that? And the top is nice too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another good reason to visit Denmark! I'm desperate to go - definitely on the list for next year when my husband's back. Do you miss it at all? x

      Delete
  8. I might have to steal your candle idea. And your dolls' house is lovely- my girls would be green with envy! Big readers of Dolls House Emporium in this house too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's time I introduced my daughter to the DHE catalogue - though there's not a lot of room left in the dolls house :)

      Delete