Tuesday, 19 June 2012

Magpie Monday - Lovely Ladybirds

It's become a bit of a standing joke that whenever my husband joins me for some second-hand shopping, which is rare, because a) he's never here and b) he'd rather do ANYTHING else - he pretty much always manages to find an old Ladybird book. They remind him of his childhood and Ladybirds are such classics: generations grew up reading them - I just think my man must have had more than most!  So when I found these lovely vintage copies I thought of him.....though to be fair he's not quite as old as the books...


There was a good selection of Ladybirds in the shop - a pound each and all a little worn and well-loved. I chose these two because plants are my thing and I was taken by the illustrations. The Garden Flowers book was first published in 1960.


The bright, vibrant paintings by John Leigh-Pemberton aren't set in your typical garden....


British Wild Flowers was illustrated by Rowland and Edith Hilder and each plant has a short, clear description. I've got plans for this little book.




This one is coming with us on our next walk. I was fired up with enthusiasm by one of Liz's recent posts about going foraging with Ruby. So I'm hoping a wildflower hunt (with a pinch of healthy competition) might help the kids take in what's always there, all around them.... as well as holding off the whinging so the walk lasts a little longer.

Liz is away having fun in the sun, so Magpie Monday is over at Lucy's fabulous blog,  Lulastic this week.

5 comments:

  1. Oh I love those old Ldybird books. My mum still has a load stashed away - and some great old kids Ladybird books "Pen & Gwen the Naughty Penguins" - where they steal a motorbike instead of picking peas for dinner - is a particular favourite with my kids. Have fun on your walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like the sound of Pen & Gwen ! Don't remember reading any quite as exciting as that. The ones my OH picks for the kids seem to be more about how things work !! Educational but not so popular :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome, he is like the Ladybird book talisman. I wish my hub was one! These are just absolutely beautiful.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Think he'll be pleased to hear that x

      Delete
  3. My son's favourite book from c. 1979. Memories.

    ReplyDelete