Monday, 4 June 2012

Magpie Monday - A diamond find!

....yep, I know...a very tenuous Jubilee link....but it was a happy holiday weekend find. I spotted it at the bottom of a tatty old box.
Goebel 1963 milk/cream jug
I don't often get to look in tatty old boxes at car boots because the kids never stop for long enough. But I was with my mum so I strolled behind the gang, stopped for a rummage and there it was. 
There's something about this little milk jug (and it is little, only 4cm high) - the shape, design, colours and the abstract patterns - it just ticks all the boxes. Not even a small chip could dent the moment of discovery. And only 50p! 
Seriously, I can feel a collection coming on...
It's got Goebel, W.Germany 1963 stamped on the base. But when I googled it, up came pages and pages of porcelain Hummel figures. Turns out this is what Goebel is best known for, and their popularity seems to have made it harder to find examples of other ceramics, like my jug. I didn't see any exactly the same, but came across a few similar ones - all equally as lovely. 
I'd love to know if anyone has some Goebel tableware, or recognises the pattern? 

I did find a few other second-hand treasures when I was doing some ahem, research for Lulastic's Charity Shop Blog Hop, which you can see here.

And of course there are plenty of top bargains and thrifty things to peruse over at Marvellous Magpie Monday. 
Me and My Shadow

10 comments:

  1. Wow, it's really gorgeous. I've never seen one like this before either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lovely jug!

    on an entirely different note, every time I read about another soldier in Afghanistan, I think of you and wait to see if there's a post up that means it's not your OH and that he's OK. I know I don't 'know' you, but my thoughts are with you. Sorry if that's a little wierd, but I tought I would let you know. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Recipe and it's not at all weird, I really appreciate your concern. He is with us at the moment. I didn't post about it because it all happened so quickly and I didn't want to tempt fate. He has a few days of compassionate leave because his mum hasn't been well (but thankfully she's on the mend now)

      Summer seems to be the toughest time for them. But my OH is not in the thick of it as much as he was during his last tour, and isn't 'out' as much either. Sometimes I think I should post about it more - sometimes it helps to focus on other things. Thanks for your comment xx

      Delete
    2. sorry to hear about his mum but good if it means you get to see him for a few days. I remember when mine was out there in 2002 - he was in Kabul most of the time, so similarly not in the real thick of it, but still frightening. He went back as a contractor not so long ago into the badlands and it's bloody scary when they are out there and you don't know what's going on. I hope your OH stays safe.

      Delete
    3. I know what you mean, it can be so scary. I hope yours stays safe too xx

      Delete
  3. Love the jug, I've never seen that pattern before but it's really nice x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I've saved my Goebel ebay search, so fingers crossed! :)

      Delete
  4. I found a pot with a top with the same pattern like yours on a garage sale (vide-grenier) in Nantes (France) where I live. It's about 14 cm high and it has the incredible flashy colors. I don't how I can send a picture of this, but I will take a look on the blog to find a way.
    Paul-Edward F.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here are the image of the pot I found of Goebel
    http://postimg.org/gallery/ca825rk8/
    Paul-Edward

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sending the photos! Funny enough I found the same pot and lid a few months ago in a secondhand/vintage shop in Hay-on-Wye. It cost me a lot more than the little jug, about 30 pounds I think, but that seems to be about the going price on ebay. I'd like to collect more - did see a salt and pepper set on ebay, but missed it sadly. Fantastic thing to find in a vide grenier! I'd be extremely happy if I'd come across it. Love vide greniers, go to France every year and always try to pack in as many as possible.

      Delete