Wednesday, 27 June 2012

The Gallery: Hands



When I watch him play, I think of the long and bumpy road we've travelled since he started piano; how his confidence has grown as his fingers found the right notes.
His hands aren't big enough to stretch an octave, and yet he's already left me behind; better than I ever was. No longer apprehensive about lessons, but finding his own way and striding ahead.
I think of all the other journeys we've started together: how tightly he held onto my hand when he first went to school, or a party, or swimming lessons or just tried something new like going on a zip wire - and how, slowly the grip loosened until he let go. And I want him to, even if sometimes I feel a touch of sadness when he does because he's growing up so fast.
Of course I'll always be here to hold his hand when he needs me, but I know he has to let go to learn, just as I have to learn to let go.


This week's Gallery theme is Hands.

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful picture... Very clever hands indeed! I know what you mean though, it's bittersweet isn't it, this growing up business?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! Just wish I could slow it down a little...

      Delete
  2. Aw such lovely words. My eight year old can play and it is amazing to watch them once they get the hang of it, really amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a rocky old time to start with! Such a relief when it clicked and he got more confident. Love listening to him now.

      Delete
  3. You write about this so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, that's lovely. I love the way you tied in one simple moment in time picture to a whole of life bigger picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ginger. It's funny sometimes where your mind takes you when you look at a picture. Can be a bit unexpected !

      Delete
  5. Piano is such a wonderful instrument to learn - and you've captured it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you:) Wish I hadn't been so quick to give it up all those years ago.

      Delete