Friday, 15 June 2012

Day 205 - Rocky Road

Having four bars of chocolate in the cupboard is just not funny when you're trying to be good. I bought them with this recipe in mind before I saw my super-slim gorgeous sisters last week and had a bit of a wake-up call.
Every time I open the cupboard door, there they are, taunting me with their delicious chocolaty loveliness: time to melt away temptation.

Rocky road always goes down well - probably because there's absolutely nothing remotely healthy about it....but it's so scrumptious, and crunchy and moreish.....
AND it's ridiculously easy to make, as well as being perfect for bribes - and I'm not just talking about the kids: a tin of rocky road (and promise of bacon sandwiches) is how I lure my husband on camping trips.

So gently melt 400g of chocolate (I usually mix bars of dark and milk) with 125g of butter and two generous tablespoons of syrup (or honey)

I used leftover bits of biscuits for the crunch. You can use 125g of any plain ones, like digestives, rich tea or ginger nuts. Just put them in a plastic bag and beat them with a rolling pin - not too much though, you want some chunks, not just a pile of crumbs.
Add to the chocolate mix along with 100g of mini marshmallows (or big ones cut up), 100g of glace cherries and a small handful of sultanas.

You can play around with the recipe: I didn't have any cherries so used dried cranberries - I've added apricots before too. And I'm told maltesers take rocky road to a whole new level of deliciousness.

Spoon into a lightly greased 20cm square tin, flatten down and leave in the fridge for at least two hours, then cut up any way you fancy.


There were squeals of delight when these were spotted, swiftly followed by howls of dismay when I told the kids they could only have one because the rest are going to the school cake sale.
Need to get them out of the house.

9 comments:

  1. Oh yes - I couldn't have them hanging around here either. I'm struggling to leave the jar of white chocolate and custard cookies, that I made yesterday, alone today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not surprised - your cookies sound delicious!

      Delete
  2. They look gorgeous.

    Have given you an award over on my blog by the way :-)http://wp.me/1TMIJ
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!! I think i have put on a pound just looking at those. You have more willpower than me. GET THEM OUT OF THE HOUSE!! I think you turned something quite tempting into something practically impossible to resist. I will not bookmark this page....I will not write out this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ....you KNOW you want to...! They are lethal, but delicious and a perfect pick-me-up on a horrible wet old day.
    I can say all this now free of temptation because mine have gone to the sale :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look amazing. I must try to make those, yummy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you do - don't think you'll be disappointed :)

      Delete
  6. I ment to say I tried these, they were gorgeous! I used cut up dired pineapple rather than cherries.

    ReplyDelete