Friday, 1 June 2012

Day 191 - Orangey carrot muffins


Last week squashed bananas, this week hairy carrots...

This is becoming a kind of recipe slot for tired old fruit and veg. It's just that time of the week when I gaze hopefully into an empty fridge, praying for inspiration. I don't want to go shopping because we're off to Northern Ireland next week, but I've got friends popping in for coffee and a catch-up tomorrow, so a bag of hairy carrots it is.

I like making muffins - they're quick and easy and light on the washing up. Carrot ones have always been popular, but this time I thought I'd give them an orangey twist.

First grate 150g of carrots and the rind of one orange.
Then in a large bowl, sift together 280g of self-raising flour, half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda, same of salt, one teaspoon of mixed spice and add 90g of sugar.
Pour the juice of the orange into a measuring jug (make it up to 150ml with any spare orange juice from the fridge or just water), add 90 ml of vegetable oil, then crack in an egg and whisk it up carefully with a fork. (I do it all in the jug to cut down on bowls)
Add the liquid and grated carrots to the dry ingredients. Mix together but don't over-stir - just enough to combine, and no more. This I'm told is the secret to good-looking muffins!

Spoon the mixture into the cases and bake for 20-25 mins at 190 degrees C (gas mark 5-6). Chopped nuts or raisins would work well in them too, but they're usually picked out by the kids and then end up on the floor, or stuck to the bottom of my shoe....

For the topping, mix 75g of softened cream cheese, a dash of vanilla essence and lemon juice and 150g of icing sugar. I usually stick it back in the fridge for a while, so it's a bit firmer, and then spread it on the muffins.

Carrot soup for tea I think.....

4 comments:

  1. I love making muffins and it's so easy to come up with your own flavours depending on what's in your cupboards! Is that a bit of chrystalized ginger on the top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that would have been delicious - but could only find diced pineapple in the cupboard :)

      Delete
  2. mmmm. I'm sure i've got a recipe somewhere for carrot cake which uses tinned pineapple, although somehow, the tinned pineapple in my cupboard never seems to make it into the cake - clearly it is there in case the nuclear winter comes up on us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I used the crystallised stuff on the muffins - but I've got quite a few tins of pineapple in the cupboard too. Always reminds me of my mother-in-law who still cooks gammon and pineapple - her recipes haven't changed much since the 70's. She also makes a mean chicken maryland :)

      Delete