Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Magpie Monday - Mum's the word!

My mum is staying with me at the moment which is lovely. She won't fly, so she travelled over from Ireland by camel (bus, ferry, train and car) with a suitcase crammed full of second-hand bits and pieces for the kids. You see my mum is a Queen Bee bargain hunter: a Queen Bee bargain hunter who just happens to work in a charity shop...

She is very good, so I thought I'd pick a few favourites from her haul - like this fantastic coat dress for my daughter.  It's bright and cheery, with gorgeous embroidered detail. And it's by Oilily. Such a great make and a great find for two poundsA bit like coming across a cowrie on a shelly beach.

Oilily coat dress

So so pleased to see this book again: there's something appealing about Richard Scarry's crazy animal characters, like nutty squirrel, squeaky, squiggly and Ooch worm. His books have been edited and updated since he died in the 90's because they were considered to be behind the times. Seems mad to me. Happily it's a pre-PC edition.

Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever - 50p

Yet another Barbie to add to the growing family of second-hand dolls taking over our house. The clothes are great though - especially the home knits. Anyone fancy a primrose yellow, knitted ball gown?


The last one's for me...a little gem my mum found at a car boot for £3. I can't resist nursery china, and think this 1950's mug from the Ridgway 'Jolly Jinks' range is just perfect.

Ridgway Jolly Jinks mug

Didn't she do well?

Why not pop over to Magpie Monday to see some of the other thrifty treasures found this week.

Me and My Shadow

8 comments:

  1. She did great! Your mum needs to give us some tips x

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...never fails to amaze me! Working in the charity shop definitely helps though x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arrrrgh!!!! I love that coat, it's amazing and the book.. reminds me of my childhood!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the coat too - it has a big number four embroidered on the back and it's so bright!

      I've a real soft spot for Richard Scarry books - there's something comforting about the ones you remember from your childhood x

      Delete
  4. A very good haul - especially the knitted Barbie clothes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always fun to see what she's found - and we got a few more lovely things when we were out today...

      Delete
  5. Wow, what a legend your mum is! She has done well indeed. Especially love the mug, utterly gorgeous.
    Your blog is truly lovely- your write SO well. Will keep reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your lovely comment!
    My mum definitely has an eye for a bargain, and sounds like yours does too x

    ReplyDelete