Monday, 28 May 2012

Magpie Monday - Car Boot scorcher!

Our local boot sale was mobbed on sunday - swarms of bargain hunters lured out by the glorious weather and keen to make up for lost time: it hasn't been on for weeks because the field was a mud bath. Remember that? Remember all the rain? Freaky how quickly things change.
I'd say as car boots go, this is a pretty civilised one: it starts at 2, though most regulars are there way before that - then it's manic for a few hours and pretty much over by four.
We didn't stay long, too sizzling hot...but long enough for some happy finds AND a moment of fluttery excitement when I spotted this familiar 70's treehouse across a crowded trestle table. I'm showing my age here - does anyone else remember them? The top pushes down and there's a lift in the trunk.
.
No figures or furniture with it, but the treehouse was only 50p.
50p for a lovely old classic vintage toy. Brilliant.
As usual the kids weren't quite as excited about it as me - but they do like car boots, or maybe they've just got used to them... Honestly though, they know the score now and know they can get more for their pocket money - they are little magpies in the making.
My 7 year old found this bubbly paperweight to add to his growing collection......not the most obvious choice, but it's got to be better than pokemon or match attax cards??
And we're going to have to start using table placemats, because I found these vintage ones and I LOVE them. One pound for all four.
Keeping the best bargain for last....
...maybe not the most inspiring bundle ever, but it saved me a pile. My eldest has just joined a cricket club and we got pads, a helmet, gloves and the cricket bag for ten pounds - couldn't have been happier! If he loses interest it's not going to matter so much :)


Plenty more second-hand sizzlers over at Magpie Monday 
Why not pop over and take a look?
Me and My Shadow

13 comments:

  1. Yes I remember that tree house! I read recently that people buy their childhoods ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah- the perfect haul! Something whimsical and something very practical. Love the treehouse :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ..it was a bit of a mix !
      The treehouse is now home to some fisher price people and a my little pony :)

      Delete
  3. wow loads of great bargains there. I didn't have the treehouse when I was younger though, I had the big yellow teapot? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember a big yellow teapot!! Didn't have one, but that's something else to look out for :)

      Delete
  4. Yes! I had that tree house, I loved it! Are you mid 30s? I would definitely buy it back if I saw it again. Love that your lad has a paperweight collection x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I WISH I was mid 30's - need to + + :( - so we probably had the first EVER treehouse to roll off the production line !
      Paperweights are a bit of an odd one, but he's happy - at the moment they're being used to hold down the roof of his den... x

      Delete
  5. Oh emm gee! There used to be one of these tree houses at my Granny Jerusalem's house and I spent many a happy hour playing with it. It's the way it magically pops up that got me most of all.
    Great score!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Hannah - it's great the way it pops up, and all these years later it's still just as poppy! Can't imagine there'd be many toys now that would stand the test of time like this old classic x

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG we had that tree house. Played for hours on it - it had a little swing didn't it?

    LOVE your retro placements they are too cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly the swing has gone. I had a look on ebay and there's one there with all the original bits and the box....just doing a bit of research, honest!

      Delete
  8. I remember the tree house! My best friend had one when I was a kid and I was so jealous!

    ReplyDelete