Friday, 18 May 2012

Day 177 - Taking the biscuit


"..Everyone loved the cookies mum.....except Jojo..."
The kids always bring in a treat for their class on their birthday.
My smile fades, "Jojo didn't like my chocolate chip cookies? What did she say? What exactly did she say?"
"..I dunno mum.." edging out the door,  
".....she just didn't like them."
You know you're getting tired and emotional when you start dwelling on why a 10 year old didn't like your oat cookies. But sometimes it's silly little things that set you off when there are big, important things on your mind. Easier to focus on the trivial stuff and blow that out of proportion.  Anyway you can't please everyone - all the other children were happy for heavens sake! Get over it! So I did.....by making another batch for my daughter to take in for her birthday today.
And I'm not just trying to prove a point, they are seriously quick and easy.

All you need to do is melt 175g of butter with two tablespoons of syrup. In a bowl measure out 175g of self-raising flour, same of sugar, 75 g of porridge oats (not the jumbo ones) and half a teaspoon each of bicarb and baking powder. Pour in the melted sweet butter and mix - and that's it. I usually break up a thin bar of chocolate and stir it in or add chocolate buttons, raisins, smarties or jelly tots (interesting..) Anything really. 
Then just make small balls of dough, place them on a baking sheet and flatten each one out a bit. Don't put them too close together or you'll end up with one enormous cookie. Bake at 180 degrees C for 12-15 mins. 
chocolate chip oat cookies
Do keep an eye on them because they can go from lovely and golden to brown and burnt in seconds. Leave on the trays until they're cool.
So my daughter left for school this morning with the cookies and a smile.
Let's hope there are no fussy 5 year olds .....

8 comments:

  1. Yum yum - I love biscuits like this. Can't believe anyone wouldn't like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Just wish I hadn't sent them all off to school with my daughter - could do with one now :)

      Delete
  2. I have just printed off that recipe - sounds delicious and very easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. Hope you like them!

      Delete
    2. I did! I've made two batches in two weeks. Very popular with all the family. I did make one tray-full too big though, and burned another tray (you're right, they go from perfect golden to burnt in no time).
      But we still had heaps left. Will definitely be making these often.
      Thanks for the recipe!

      Delete
  3. Im going to try these :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sound healthy too...all those oats ;)
    Going to try them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They really are good - and great to make with the kids because they're so, so easy.

    ReplyDelete