Saturday, 24 March 2012

Day 126 - The power of laughter and a Swedish massage

Things are looking up. 
I've just had my first night out in four months and a Swedish massage.  Not at the same time, mind. 
The problem with keeping your head down and ploughing on, is you forget to have fun. So when I saw Mark Steel was doing his stand-up show in town I quickly booked tickets before I talked myself out of it.  
I've heard him on the radio a few times and he'd made me laugh - and I really, really felt like laughing.  It's an old cliche, but I do think a good dose of uncontrollable laughter can work wonders.

Honestly, he was BRILLIANT and consistently funny.  It was such a good night.  Every show is tailored to the town he's in and there never appears to be a shortage of material.  We do 'weird and wonderful' so well in this Kingdom of ours! 
He mercilessly took the mick out of Hereford and the audience loved it. Nearly as much as they loved the Welsh jokes (always a winner in a border town)  
He can be political, but nothing too heavy.  Maybe he played it down a bit - it's not exactly a seething pit of anarchy around here. 
If you haven't seen Mark Steel before, do go if he stops off near you. Definitely worth it, I promise.
If I hadn't gone I wouldn't have found out that it's apparently still legal to shoot a Welshman with a longbow in Hereford....but only in the cathedral close on a sunday.....


The Swedish massage was a very generous treat from a lovely friend who has a knack of knowing when I'm getting to the end of my rope.  
The last time I had a massage I remember feeling quite self-conscious, but I'm so bone tired at the moment I think I am way passed caring. I asked my bright orange masseur with amazing bouffant blonde hair, what made a Swedish massage, Swedish?  She explained it was more vigorous - and then asked if I wanted firm, medium or gentle pressure.  She was tiny.  I went for firm.
Heavens to Betsy! She may have looked like a delicate little bird - but she had the hands and grip of a champion arm wrestler.  
Absolutely no complaints though - the massage was fantastic.  Just lying still for an hour was total bliss. 

1 comment: