Sunday, 12 February 2012

Day 84 - Drowning my sorrows in a tin of golden syrup

There's an annoying gloomy mist that seems to move in on a sunday and I'm determined to stop it from settling. 
I know it's the day for it, but I don't want to do too much reflecting. It always leads me down the same old path, and I start thinking about how long we've got to go.... 


It's Half Term too.  Foot off the pedal time.  A break from mad dash mornings and after school whirlwinds. We're all ready for it. I can see the dark shadows under the little ones' eyes and they're pale, snotty and exhausted!  
I think I miss him most in the holidays.  And not because I'm with the kids 24/7, longing for a break - I'm just more aware we aren't complete.   

So I decided to drown my woes in a tin of golden syrup and make my favourite comfort food -  sticky stodge pudding. 
In many ways it's my perfect pud; incredibly easy to make, hardly any washing up and so filling it stops the kids asking me for a snack straight after their meal. (drives me mad) 
The only draw back is it has to simmer for two hours, so needs a bit of forward planning. Here it is, if you fancy a go!


225g self-raising flour
pinch of salt
85g sugar
115g shredded suet (I use vegetable suet)
1 large egg
8 tablespoons milk


Grease a 1 litre pudding basin, then add 3 tablespoons of syrup (but who's counting?)  Mix all the ingredients together, just with a spoon, then scrape into the pudding basin and cover with greaseproof paper or tinfoil.  I usually secure it with one of my many postie elastic bands - they're perfect!  Set in a pan with water half-way up the sides of the basin and put the lid on.  Bring to the boil then simmer for about 2 hours.  Don't let it boil dry and don't let it go off the boil.


Had to be quick with the photo......all the kids had three helpings!




It may not be the answer to everything, but I'd like to think it helped beat off the sunday blues with a big 'sticky' stick...


I've just finished packing as we're going back to Northern Ireland tomorrow for another full programme of family visits.  It'll be hectic, but a hectic plan is better than none in my book.  We'll catch up with everyone, the kids will have lots to do and there's no chance of the time dragging.  Also I need to get away to stop me turning into a crazy loon, madly blogging in the corner and screeching at the children!    It could happen.



5 comments:

  1. Looks yum! My problem with golden syrup is that I buy it for a particular recipe and then proceed to eat the tin by adding spoonfuls to cereal, tea, toast...dangerously good stuff! Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Catherine! It is delicious, isn't it? So lethal though. I do remember going through a stage of putting it on my weetabix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel sad for you thinking of you missing your husband :-(

    I'm gald you have a plan and are getting a way for a few days though. I always think a hectic plan is better than no plan too :-).

    Sticky Toffee pudding is a real favourite of ours so thank you for that, we'll be giving it a go.

    I hope you and the children have a lovely and fun time visiting family.

    Take care, Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo, that's sweet of you! Great to spend some time with my family (+ a short cooking break!) Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the recipe. No wonder you had to take a picture quickly, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete