Sunday, 25 December 2011

Day 34 - Moving on to the in-laws...


I couldn't get any mobile reception at my sister's - when I eventually picked up my messages there were three from my mother-in-law sounding increasingly desperate.  She wanted to know when we were coming to stay - honest to goodness I've told her about four times over the last few weeks!  There's no hiding from the fact that our parents are getting older and more forgetful.  Still really frustrating though....

Staying at my in-laws took a bit of getting used to at the beginning.  They live in a house that hasn't changed much since the 1970's, there is an unhealthy amount of brown and a strong smell of fried food.  It is organised chaos, but they completely adore the children.  So I've learnt to ignore the bad and concentrate on the good!

I was really looking forward to staying this time - I knew the kids would be happy and there's always a mountain of food.  I haven't been disappointed.  If people are coming over, like they did today, my mother-in-law goes up a gear and completely over-caters.   I think she's truely terrified that the food will run out......it never, ever has. This is her idea of a 'light' brunch....
 
 
At some point through the meal you'll always find her in the kitchen whipping cream.....I think it's a comfort thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment