Friday, 16 December 2011

Day 26 - The Christmas party

I haven't been to a Christmas party for years, so when I was asked to one I thought why not?  Why not indeed.........A part from the fact I don't get out much, there's nothing quite like a Christmas do to see a whole new side to people you talk to nearly every day.   It seems to be the one night of the year when it's all right to let your hair down and be a little bit bad, before retreating back into your sensible shell.  


It was the pre-school staff and parents christmas party, largely made up of young mums (sadly not my category) who had a free pass for the night and they weren't holding back.  Obviously I had a babysitter rather than a husband at home and a day of packing ahead of me, so decided to drive.  When I arrived I was grabbed and hugged by a mum who welcomed me like a long lost friend - I swear she has never said more than 'Hello' to me before.......


Now I've got a fair bit of experience of Christmas dos, but I have never been to a venue quite like it.  We went into this huge room with hundreds of other people - it was like a Christmas party production line!  There were groups from M&S, the local hospital, banks, social clubs - and the master of ceremonies was a rather bored DJ. 


Our table was right at the back so we didn't get any food until after nine - not good when quite a few were drinking rose out of pint glasses and my new best friend was lining up shots of cherry vodka....... One mum was so hungry she stole a large yorkshire pudding off a plate on the next table - it was all getting a little messy....


All in all the party was definitely an experience - and a lot of fun.  I might have been sober but I laughed and danced - the best tonic when you're missing your other half.  Then I overheard someone saying the last time they'd given my new best friend a lift after a party she'd been sick in the glove compartment....time to go home.....

No comments:

Post a Comment