Saturday, 3 December 2011

Day 13 - phone home!



I've missed him today -  I am used to him being away but we've always talked a lot on the phone - two or three times a day is pretty normal.   He loves the phone, none of the usual male phone phobia - I've tried to explain how rare this is to his mum!  


Now he gets a weekly 30 minute phone card and they're four and a half hours ahead - not much room for chatting.  


So far his timing hasn't been great - ringing during tea is never good as the kids leave their food, leave the table and start swarming around me like locusts - is there ever a good time?!  We've spent quite a lot of our allotted minutes talking about domestic admin, bills, banks etc - a little weird really but the mundane trudgery of life needs to be dealt with no matter where you are or what you're doing!!  I can't possibly picture what life is like for him in Afghanistan - there is such a huge gulf between his reality and mine,  best not to think about it too much.  Talking about boring bills is safe and comforting for both of us I think.


Of course the children miss him too - I found a letter our six year old had written - 'dear dad, I rilly miss you. I love you to the moon and back agen' - just breaks your heart!  The eldest hasn't said much yet,  but I've found him in his younger brother's bed a few times which usually happens when he's anxious.


The other thing I'm noticing is because for swathes of time I don't see anyone over the age of 9, when I am let loose on an adult I just can't stop talking!  Even the little voice in my head saying 'stopppp!! doesn't seem to work.  A lovely friend took me out for a birthday lunch and I swear I didn't draw breath - my throat hurt when I got home.  I am becoming one of those people you wouldn't want to get stuck in a corner with at a party - I need to get out more....  

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    My friend recommended your blog and I love it. It strikes many chords! My other half is in the Navy, thankfully not anywhere terrifying but still away for around 8 months or so. Had to stop my blog for a while but about to start again under a new alias! Hope to read more of yours! P.S I can so relate to the bit about not seeing anyone over the age of 9 and then not being able to stop talking - I'm sure people at work hide from me on a Monday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear from you! I'm so glad you like it - writing seems to help when he's away, maybe you find that too?
    Still having a major motormouth problem - just can't help myself! It's SO hard to stop, isn't it? Even when you can see their eyes glazing over!
    Do let me know when you start blogging again x

    ReplyDelete